- Doing it yourself is as good as taking it to an auto repair shop – Vehicles have become much more sophisticated under the hood in the last 20 years. There are plenty of little tasks that drivers can do themselves, such as topping o ...[more]
At McGee Auto Service and Tires, we do a lot of wheel alignments here in Lakeland, FL and Clearwater, FL. Considering how many customers we see for wheel alignment work, it’s not surprising that some have certain misconceptions about this common maintenance item, so we’d like to clear up a few things:
- My steering wheel is vibrating – do I need an alignment? The answer to that is almost always…no. Lots of things can cause a vibration in the steering wheel, including an out-of-round tire, a wheel that needs to be balanced or suspension problems, but it’s very rare for an alignment problem to set up vibrations through the steering column.
- My car still pulls to the right! Pulling to the ri ...[more]
Summers in Clearwater, FL and Lakeland, FL can be a lot of fun. For kids, it seems like summer will go on forever. Parents, on the other hand, are usually looking forward to having a somewhat more structured routine to go by. In either case, it’s important to make sure that your car’s ready to go back-to-school too!
- Oil Changes – It’s probably the one biggest factor in getting the most miles out of your vehicle. Regular oil changes prevent buildups of carbon and sludge on internal engine assemblies and cut wear on crucial moving parts. Conventional mineral-based oil should be changed every 5,000 miles, and synthetic oil every 7,500-10,000 miles (check manufacturer’s recommendations for correct oil change intervals) ...[more]
Five Signs It’s Time for New Tires
At McGee Auto Service & Tires in Bradenton, FL, we know that it’s hard for a lot of drivers to be certain when it’s time to replace their tires. Remember, though, that you’re not really saving money by running your tires until they’re worn to a nub…you’re compromising your safety with a loss of traction and control, especially in wet weather. So here are some surefire indicators that it’s time to invest in a new set of tires:
- Excessive tread wear. States mandate a minimum tread depth of 2/32” for tires, and here’s a really easy way to check that. Take a penny and insert it into the tread with Lincoln’s head down. If you c ...[more]
Everyone makes mistakes…some mistakes, though, can end up being a lot more expensive than others. When it comes to auto repair in Bradenton, FL, there are some mistakes you really don’t want to make. You might be amazed at some of what we see here at McGee Auto Service & Tires in Bradenton, FL. So, we thought we’d share a few tips with you to save yourself some money, trouble and time:
- Don’t neglect minor repairs and preventive maintenance. They call it “preventive maintenance” for good reason – it’s intended to prevent real trouble. That includes things like cooling system flushes, belts and hoses, regular oil changes, brake service and transmission maintenance. The choice is yours – spend a little money now to tak ...[more]
Imagine buying tires in Tampa, FL that you never, ever have to put air in. Tires in Tampa, FL that can never go flat, and can be retreaded for more miles after the tread wears out.
Sounds unlikely, but it’s a reality thanks to Michelin’s Tweel design (the name “Tweel” combines “tire” and “wheel”). The design consists of a tread surface welded to a series of energy-absorbing polyurethane spokes; the spokes are then connected to an inner hub that contains a denser pattern of spokes for extra weight-bearing and rigidity. Other designs feature a honeycomb structure rather than spokes; spoke tension and rigidity can be increased for different applications.
The Tweel design answers a challenge that conventional wheel/tire arrangements have never been able to achieve; a forgiving ...[more]
|1 2 3||Next >>|